The two-family house from Brienz has a magnificently carved facade. It illustrates the high standard of rural architecture in the Bernese Oberland and gives a picture of the craft of wood-carving which is characteristic of Brienz.
A block structure of squared logs with projecting wall-beams rests on the high stone basement. The impressive facade on the gable side has numerous friezes of various designs running across the full width of the house. On the upper floor and in the area of the pediment the wall support beams project forward in the manner frequently encountered in the Bernese Oberland. The low-pitched purlined roof was formerly laid with shingles.
On the back and eaves side an addition was built in 1867 with a horse stable, a place for hay and two rooms. The cellar contained a pigsty and a wood-carving workshop. Today it is still possible to watch a woodcarver at work and to admire original Brienz woodcarvings in an exhibition.
The building owner was probably the innkeeper Heinrich von Flüe who served as a sailor from 1762 to 1766 on Lake Brienz at the cargo exchange. Based on historical sources, we know that the building was used as a double house by two independent owners from 1782 on. The later owners were also connected with the transportation industry (boatman, sailor, coachmen) and tourism (innkeeper, mountain guide, woodcarver).
Next to the house is the drying kiln from Brienzwiler BE (No. 1032), in which fruits were dried to be enjoyed during long winter evenings.