This half timber structure with cellar beneath stood on the property of the Wipf family and was built in the 18th century as a grain storehouse.
This half timber structure with cellar beneath stood on the property of the Wipf family and was built in the 18th century as a grain storehouse. It was by no means rare that granaries were adapted to other usages and that happened to this object from Wellhausen: a complete conversion of the building transformed it into a workshop with large windows in the 19th century. It cost less to modify an existing building than to erect a new one.
Around 1900 the building served a small farm operation as a storehouse. Later the owners used it for general storage. From 1970 to 1978 this former granary was a warehouse for the craftwork furniture plant of Walter Bolli, who wanted to preserve it in situ but was rebuffed by the municipality. The little house had to disappear in order to make way for a housing development. The granary was disassembled in Wellhausen in May 1979 and celebrated its opening day in Ballenberg in June.
This small structure of varying usages tells the tale of many buildings of its kind. In the course of economic change in recent decades they lost currency and faded away in the face of intensive construction. Such small buildings once so well suited for numerous purposes were part and parcel of village life and the rural image, yet they had outlived their usefulness and were often torn down.